I like it when posts like this are actually true
Zach Braff did an AMA on reddit a while ago and said the script would sometimes just say “Then Neil says something funny”
Guide to Writing Steampunk
Punk Genres: most common genres are in italics
So why are there so many sub genres? For starters, they help agents and publishers get an idea of what they’re in for if you’re going through the traditional publishing route. While bookstores usually just put these genres within science fiction or fantasy, you can still market your book through sub genres to reach a specific group of people who are looking for these genres.
- Atomicpunk: Optimistic retro science fiction based on the Space Age. Think The Jetsons.
- Biopunk: This genre is about altering genetics and DNA. These stories often take place in the near-future in which humans have been altered or in which human experimentation is common.
- Candlepunk: Similar to clockpunk, but darker and with less technology.
- Clockpunk: Think Da Vinci’s inventions, but more advanced while. This genre follows the aesthetics and technology of Western civilization during the mid to late middle ages, though sometimes it’s set in the Victorian era.
- Cyberpunk: Has advanced technology and often focuses on artificial intelligence and the cyber world. The setting is often near-future rather than far-future. Blade Runner is an example.
- Dieselpunk: Based on aesthetics and technology between World War I and World War II, sometimes up until the Cold War.
- Decopunk: Ranges from the aesthetics of the 1920’s to the 1950’s. Decopunk aesthetic is heavily based on modernism. Less gritty than dieselpunk.
- Elfpunk: Basically urban fantasy, but with common high or epic fantasy creatures put in an urban setting rather than vampires and werewolves.
- Nanopunk: Similar to biopunk, but biotechnology is less available and nanotechnology is common.
- Sandalpunk: Set in ancient worlds, such as Rome, but with advanced technology.
- Splatterpunk: Extremely graphic and contains a lot of gore.
- Steampunk: This genre gets its name from the heavy steam-powered technology involved. Aesthetics are based on the Victorian and industrial eras of the Western world, though other cultural elements may be used.
- Western Steampunk: Similar to steampunk, but with Western (as in Wild West) aesthetics and settings.
However, there are a lot of sub genres, most of which many have not heard of. If you’ve written one of these genres and intend to publish it, the best would be to put it under another name (with the exception of steampunk, cyberpunk, and biopunk). For example, if you have written a candlepunk story, you can propose it as fantasy, alternate historical fiction, or any other genre it may fit in. While atomicpunk is quite common, it’s not well known by that name. If you have written an atompunk story, the best way to market it would be to call it retro science fiction.
But what’s the difference between punk genres and historical fiction? The technology is a big difference. It’s usually more advanced for the time it’s modeled after.TECHNOLOGYThe technology is one of the defining aspects of steampunk. It’s the basis for the world you’re writing in. For the typical steampunk story, technology will be (of course) steam powered.CHARACTERS & FASHIONAnother defining feature of steampunk is the aesthetics and the characters. Steampunk takes the latter part of the word (punk) to mean the opposition of the mainstream, though that’s not always necessary in your story.Research jobs common in the Victorian age and add steam to it. Your characters will revolve around their setting and their clothing may be a part of that too.READING
- Best Steampunk Books
- Best Steampunk and Gaslight
- Favorite Steampunk/Alt History
- Best Fantasy, Steampunk, and Science Fiction BDSM
- Asian Steampunk
- Buttkicking Female Steampunk
- Best Steampunk YA Books
- Best Unknown Steampunk
- Steampunk Adventures
- Gay Steampunk
- Best Vampire Steampunk
- Steampunk Novels and Short Stories
- Best of Cyberpunk
- Best Cyberpunk Books
- Books with Cyberpunk Themes
- Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality
- Researching Steampunk
- A Brief Introduction to Steampunk
- Steampunk Tropes
- What is Steampunk?
- So You Want to: Write a Steampunk Story
- Steampunk Inspiration
- 8 Tips and Tricks Every Steampunk Writer Should Know
- Writing Steampunk Fiction Tips
- Kady Cross Shares her Secrets to Writing Steampunk
- Tips for Successfully Creating Steampunk
- Steampunk Wiki
- List of Writing Steampunk Resources
- Steampunk: a List of Themes
- How to Write Steampunk
- Writing Steampunk
- Tips for Writing Steampunk
HEY LOOK ANON. :3
Cyber-psychologist Berni Goode talking about Flow on Charlie Brooker’s How Videogames Changed the World.
Flow is extremely important. So, so important.
It’s what keeps some people sane. It’s what drives the world’s most skilled and accomplished athletes, the most intense gamers, the hardcore hobbyists, even many of the most talented artists, musicians and actors - flow is what you get when unstoppable drive meets an unflinching will and unlimited dedication.
Flow is being utterly, truly “in the zone”. And it’s one of the most amazing feelings there is.
This is why finding a sport, or a hobby, or a martial art, or a handicraft, or a new video game, or any skill-based activity that uses focus and requires practice and repetition is so beneficial for things like depression and anxiety and overall mental/physical well-being.
Eins, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieben, acht …
um, dois, três, quatro …
Un, Deux, Trois, Quatre
It’s not a very good one.
uno, dos, tres, cuatro…
I’m not sure how this works.
ett två tre fyra
philippines and japan stop omg
Satu Dua Tiga Empat
one AMERICA, two AMERICA, three AMERICA…
i don’t get it either
They are talking about english
no one loves lag like these two.
this gif is just so precious
NEW LIFE GOAL: DO THIS
oh my god that’s actually hilariosuhdjfjk
STILL MY FAVORITE PANEL VIDEO OF ALL TIME
i love how Jared is like FUCK I CAN’T I’M SO DONE
This entertains me every single time I see it
This is the best gif ever.
don’t you fucking test me i will draw this porn i swear to god
i’m doing it
Disney’s Haunted Mansions around the world.
EDIT: I didn’t include Tokyo because it’s modeled after the mansion in Walt Disney World.
PLEASE Share this!!!
WRITTEN BY A COP: Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this. It may save your life or a loved one’s life. In daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation… This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, & everyone you know. After reading these 9 crucial tips, forward them to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do :The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse,
DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you… Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse.
RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy.. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.
DON’T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head,
and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR ,
LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE..
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat:
DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A.) Be aware:look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor ,
and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door.
Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women
are attempting to get into their cars. C.) Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side.. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN!
The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then,
it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked ‘for help’ into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late
and she thought it was weird.. The police told her ‘Whatever you do, DO NOT
open the door..’ The lady then said that it sounded like the baby
had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, ‘We already have a unit on the way,
whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.’ He told her that they think a serial killer
has a baby’s cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby.. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby’s cries outside their doors when they’re home alone at night.
10. Water scam! If you wake up in the middle of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! These people turn on all your outside taps full blast so that you will go out to investigate and then attack.
Stay alert, keep safe, and look out for your neighbors! Please pass this on
This post should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on America ‘s Most Wanted when they profiled
the serial killer in Louisiana
I’d like you to forward this to all the women you know.
It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle..
I was going to send this to the ladies only,
but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc.,
you may want to pass it onto them, as well.
Send this to any woman you know that may need
to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it
and it’s better to be safe than sorry..
Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this. It may save your life or
a loved one’s life.